This is a pre-compiled release of Lunar Engine v0.2. The alpha is intended for the community to be part of development process through assisting in bug identification, feature testing, suggestions, and more. Additionally, if you wish to make a game in Lunar, now is a good time to hop on board and be part of the development process, as well as take advantage of the opportunity to begin familiarizing yourself with the software and its particularities while waiting for more stable releases.
Lunar Engine is a free, open source 2D Online RPG maker software suite that enables you to rapidly create spectaclor online worlds from your imagination to the computer screen.
At it's core, Lunar Engine has three things in mind:
- Efficiency: When designing the new engine, we are constantly looking for ways to increase performance. Gone are the days where one must worry about their engine functioning properly with a substantial amount of users or limited hardware.
- Usability: Through meticulous code reviews, a versatile language, competent developers, and strict following of well known and proven software design patterns, Lunar Engine will have a very clean code-base to work with. We also seek to provide the community with a set of editors that will be straight forward, simple to use, and effective.
- Longevity: We aim to provide the community with something to stand the test of time.
In addition to these philosophies, Lunar Engine aims to set itself apart with its most important ideal, upon which all aspects of the engine will be modeled: hobbyist game development should be fun. Lunar Engine is not attempting to compete with Unity or any other major, professional game development engine. The core purpose of Lunar Engine is not to provide a platform upon which to build the next big indie blockbuster, although it's certainly possible! The development and final product of Lunar Engine will reflect our core belief that game development should be enjoyable, relaxed, and most of all, fun. The tool sets, methods of distribution, and community vibe will all reflect this belief.
Lunar Engine is completely open source, so you are free to modify the code to meet your game's demands; however, no programming experience is necessary to begin creating! With a robust editor suite and a vast array of built in features, plugin support, and an event system, Lunar Engine is prepared to accommodate whatever the demands of you and your project may be.
You can access the Lunar source code and participate in development through our Git repository:
- Versatile Editor Suite: Lunar Engine provides you with the tools you need to build an immersive world. With an easy to use and common sense interface design, content design in Lunar Engine is a breeze.
- Scripting Support: Lunar Engine utilizes LUA scripting for rapid, on-demand content programming. This allows you to program features without recompiling the software.
- Build Persistent Worlds: Lunar Engine's tools all come together in helping you to bring your imagined worlds to reality!
- Customizable Interface System: Customize Lunar's interface to your liking and make your project stand out from the rest!
You can view the planned feature roadmap for Lunar Engine here